Thursday, November 20, 2008

Arrival and bad news

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't written about my trip. I was not hooked up on the internet until yesterday. My trip was basically uneventful, albeit long, totaling over 1700 miles. Texas was 880 of those miles. Very big state, but amazing terrain. I expected flat barren deserts, and instead, had rolling hills, mountains, flat top mesas, farmland with very interesting forms of irrigation. They mound up dirt around sections of the fields to hold in the water. Almost looks like the rice paddies of Asia.
Got a speeding ticket so I get to pay that off. I was talking to my husband on the phone while driving; someone pulled in front of me, so I hit the brake and that stopped the cruise control. Tried to push it back up to resume with my knee since one hand was on the steering wheel and the other was on the phone. I missed. Got clocked doing 81 in a 65 mph zone. It had been 70 mph, but after dark in Texas, all traffic is 65. Stopped for the night on the other side of San Antonio and about 20 miles down the road the next day, the speed limit was now 80 mph! Oh well.

I arrived in El Paso on Thursday afternoon. Moved into my new apartment on Friday morning. It is very nice, and my furniture came late that afternoon, and it is also quite nice and comfy. I spent the weekend exploring the area a bit, drove to the hospital to get my bearings, and saw the new James Bond movie.
I had orientation on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I met with my department manager yesterday to get my schedule. I start work tomorrow night.

The bad news is that my husband of almost 29 years called me Tuesday evening and suggested we get a divorce. He feels we have grown too far apart. Needless to say, I am totally floored right now. I have to stay here to fulfill my contract or pay a whopping huge amount of money that I cannot afford to pay. I am struggling right now and will be putting my blog on hold until I can get myself together. I need to keep all my wits about me to concentrate on my new job while trying to hold myself together emotionally. I appreciate all the love and support I am getting from my friends and family. I will get past this, it will just take time. Thank you.

No comments: