Thursday, November 6, 2008

Tired already and haven't even left the state yet!

WOW!! There is an immense amount of paperwork involved with this travel nursing business! Every time I think I am done, something else crops up. Good thing I bought a Corolla because even with gas down to $2.22/gallon here today, I am burning up the fuel with all the errands! Today I got an email stating that I still needed verification of mumps! I have had numerous measles and rubella vaccines between nursing and the military, but none of them included mumps. I HAD the mumps, the red measles, and chickenpox as a child. That was what we did when we were kids. In all of my years in both pediatrics and newborn nursing, I have never had to verify chickenpox or mumps. Ended up making another trip to my doctor's office in downtown St. Pete today to get more blood drawn, (ended up in the exact same parking space, and with the same woman drawing my blood as the other day!!) and pick up the results of my chicken pox titer, which showed that I was indeed immune to chickenpox. I emailed the Texas Board of Nursing to find out if they got my electronic fingerprints, but apparently, they do not get them from Florida even though it is the same company. I guess my fingerprints are in cyberspace someplace along with the $15 I paid to have them done. Went on line to find out where I could get them done locally; got lots of phone numbers to various police stations that were all disconnected, and finally got a non-post office box number address that I mapped out on line and it included a working phone number! I will go there tomorrow to get fingerprinted. Then the travel nurse company said I was missing my on line nursing skills test and gave me the site. When I went to the site, I needed a password and log in name. I called the office and was told they need to email me one; I have yet to receive it! I emailed them again this afternoon asking them what to do since they have yet to send me the information needed to take the test. I sure hope this isn't a sign of things to come. It is so hard to know what nursing company to go with and I have heard horror stories about some of them. I guess it will be a live and learn experience.
Getting everything packed up and ready to go. The computer, phone, TV and DVD stuff is the main thing that confuses me, but I do have my own personal geek squad (Brian!!) to get me through all of the wires and what goes with what! I am hoping to leave here by Monday so I can take a few days to get my bearings once I get there. Not sure how long it will take me to drive there, either. Texas is a very wide state and I am going across the widest point of it! Getting excited about leaving and exploring new areas, but sad about leaving family behind once again.
Well, that is the news for now.

No comments: